Intern for the Green Lake Association
The Green Lake Association (GLA) is a nonprofit organization that designs and implements outreach, communication and conservation initiatives that inspire people to conserve Green Lake and its watershed. The GLA is currently accepting applications for a Research Intern to support the organization with monitoring conditions on Green Lake.
The GLA is seeking a Research Intern to perform stream monitoring from May – October 2014 near Ripon in collaboration with the Department of Natural Resources and Water Action Volunteers. Experience gained in this internship will include, but is not limited to: field research, acid preservation of water samples, fish surveys and data analysis.
If time permits, the Research Intern will work on other lake-related projects, including Aquatic Invasive Species, dissolved oxygen data and/or long-term trends in fish populations. The Research Intern will work jointly with the GLA and with Bob Wallace, Professor of Biology at Ripon College.
This is a wonderful opportunity for a science-related major to gain field- and data analysis experience!
• A sophomore or junior majoring in Chemistry, Biology, or Environmental Studies
• Knowledge of Excel and/or SAS (or other comparable statistical software)
• Previous coursework in topics related to streams/lakes/water monitoring
• Ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
• Ability to work independently and on a team
• Desire to learn and to absorb information quickly
• Excellent writing skills and command of the English language
This is a paid, grant-funded internship through the Center for Social Responsibility beginning in the fall of 2013 for six hours per week for a semester or academic year (14 or 28 weeks; internship length is negotiable). Compensation is at the rate of $7.25/hour. Applicants should communicate with the Center for Social Responsibility to verify she/he qualifies for the internship program based on grant stipulations.
To apply, send a resume and contact information for two references to Stephanie Prellwitz at email@example.com or mail to the Green Lake Association, PO Box 364, Green Lake, WI 54941.